Glenn Charles


Photographer/Videographer specializing in Life Style, Travel, and Aerial Imagery.  FAA 107 Certified for sUAS flight operations throughout the US.  Fully insured.  Videography work is limited to Aerial productions.

Based in Maine (May-December) and SWFL (Jan - April). Available for travel year round.

Day 45

Today was perhaps the hardest of the trip. Somewhat ironic sinceyesterday was the prettiest. I woke at around 4:30, not being able to sleepanymore. Here I am getting close to Mtn time so it does not get light until7:30. Getting up this early meant I was going to be sitting for a while,which is exactly what I did.

After it was light enough I set back out on the hill that I bailed on thenight before. Hills were to be the word of the day. I knew from theelevation profile that today was going to be killer . In order to makeLeaky I would have about 40 miles of hills with two near vertical climbs.Lets say I was not too excited about my situation.

By mid day the sun was in full bloom and the first vertical ascent wasstaring me down. I took off my base layer And started the climb. A thirdof the way in I was down to my granny and praying that I don't stop. I wasreally afraid that if I stopped I would have to walk the rest of the waybecause I would not be able to get started again. We are talking about abike moving at the slowest possible speed at which it can remain upright.

By two thirds of the way in I was ready to puke, my mind in disbelief thatthis hill kept going. I kept telling myself to go one rotation at a time,that I could do it. Legs and lungs were burning and I was now soaked insweat, I finally felt the grade change and knew that I was going to makeit. I laughed at the fact there was a rest area at the top, as if carswould have felt the way I did...

The road followed a ridge fir a bit and then a spectacular descent where Iwas very grateful foe disc brakes. The bad knees was this scene was to berepeated one more time. By the end of the next descent I was completelyspent. The last four miles into Leaky were very painful, but I preserved.

Knowing that the other side of town held a hill bigger than either of thetwo I had already faced, it was a no brainer to decide this was the end ofmy day.

Five dollars later I had secured a camp site in a locals back yard, where Ipitched my tent and fell asleep. Later I was able to explore a bit of thiscanyon town, which at dusk with the moon up high and a big ole ice creamcone in my hand, was quite the nice place to be.

Sent from my Windows Phone